Weekend Plans: Olympic celebrations, plant swaps, and Netflix docs
By Sidney Madden | @sidney_madden_
Happy weekend, friends!
We’ve still got your weekly roundup of events around the city, but if you’re looking to stay in and binge a few Chicago-related documentaries on Netflix, we got you.
It feels like Ye, aka Kanye West, is everywhere right now. Part one of “jeen-yuhs,” a film about his rise to fame, dropped Wednesday.
“Downfall: The Case Against Boeing” investigates the Chicago company after the two fatal 737 Max crashes.
Need a palate cleanser between Ye and Boeing? Rewatch “South Side” on HBO for the upteenth time.
P.S. We’ll be back in your inboxes and podcast feeds Tuesday!
- A man was charged with allegedly stalking Mayor Lori Lightfoot. [Chicago Sun-Times]
- Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White endorsed City Clerk Anna Valencia in the crowded race for his seat. [WTTW]
- It feels like new developments are coming into neighborhoods a lot these days. Learn about community benefits agreements with City Bureau Tuesday, and sign up to get a resource zine!
- Maybe don’t flush your toilet — it could contribute to overwhelming water treatment facilities while Chi deals with this weather. [Chicago Public Square]
- In Bulls news: Zach LaVine is set to return to the court after the All-Star Game, Alex Caruso could be back training in a week, and Tristan Thompson is the newest addition to the roster. [Forbes]
- This week’s must-read.
Want our newsletter fresh in your inbox every weekday at 6 a.m.? Sign up here 👇
🗓️ WEEKEND PLANS
TODAY: The Salt Shed concert ticket sales
See Jorja Smith, the Fleet Foxes, and more at the old Morton Salt factory, now a concert venue, in Goose Island this summer. Get tickets at 10 a.m.
SATURDAY: Plant swap in Back of the Yards
Trade your clippings, propagations, and more for some new plant babies at The Plant Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Browse the indoor winter market!
THIS WEEKEND: Lincoln Square Winter Brew fest
Bundle up and sample beverages from local breweries at the outdoor fest along Lincoln Avenue between Eastwood and Wilson Saturday and Sunday from noon to 8 p.m.
THIS WEEKEND: Olympic celebrations in Humboldt Park, Wicker Park
Compete in flip cup, beer pong, and more at The Graff Saturday afternoon. Catch the real Winter Games at the Olympic pop-up at Fatpour Tap Works.
THIS WEEK: Andersonville Restaurant Week
Starting today, dine at one of the 17 participating North Side restaurants.
THIS MONTH: “Gem of the Ocean” downtown
The first part of playwright August Wilson’s 10-part American Century cycle documenting Black life is back at the Goodman Theatre until Feb. 27.
SPONSORED BY THE DEMOCRACY GROUP: LISTEN TO PODCASTS TO SAVE AMERICA
Chicago, are you worried about our democracy in America? If you read the City Cast newsletter, then you’re most likely a very engaged citizen. Democracy is in danger and needs your help now more than ever.
That’s why The Democracy Group has created a community and network of 16 podcasts united around the goal of helping listeners understand what’s broken in our democracy, and how people are working together to fix it.
Subscribe to their newsletter for podcast recommendations, deep dives, and information about how to become an engaged citizen in saving our democracy.
Catch up on this week’s episodes!