October is peak fall foliage season in Illinois, which is why we're helping you plan your trips to take in all the crisp autumn colors. Let’s go leaf-peeping 🍂
Use Illinois’ Fall Colors Trip Planner
The online tool helps residents see when and where leaves are changing. Fall foliage is expected to peak by the second week of October in Northern Illinois and by the end of October in Central and Southern Illinois.
Morton Arboretum in Lisle in fall 2012. (Raymond Boyd / Michael Ochs Archives / Getty)
Where to See Changing Leaves in Illinois
- The Morton Arboretum in Lisle (easily accessible via Metra)
- Forest Preserves of Winnebago County in Rockford
- Starved Rock State Park in Oglesby
- Allerton Park in Monticello
- Shawnee National Forest in Herod (also a weekend road trip)
Planning a Trip Outside the State?
📸 Tag @citycastchicago in your leaf-peeping pics on Instagram!